The Trifari Company was founded by Gustavo Trifari, an Italian immigrant who arrived at Ellis Island from Napoli in 1904 at the age of 20. In 1910 he founded “Trifari and Trifari” with his uncle. Gustavo’s uncle left the company a few years later, and Gustavo continued the company under the name of “Trifari.” Leo Krussman joined Trifari in 1917, and Carl Fishel joined as head of sales in 1925. The company name was then changed to “Trifari, Krussman and Fishel” and the logo “KTF” (with an enlarged “T” at the center). Trifari Vintage Jewelry pieces from this era are extremely rare.
In 1930 Trifari hired Alfred Philippe as head designer, and that is when the company became popular. Philippe’s background designing very high end fine jewelry for firms like Cartier and Van Cleef and Arples brought the style and glamour of fine jewelry and were very popular.Philippe continued to work at Trifari until his retirement in 1968. In the 1940’s the company name was changed back to “Trifari” and the famous Trifari Crown logo was stamped on the pieces.Trifari was run by its founder and sons until 1975, when the company was sold to Hallmark Jewelry Company. In 1988 the company was sold to Crystal Brands, and in 1994 sold to a division of the Monet Group. During that time, high end, collectible Trifari jewelry was produced for sale on QVC. Many were Limited Editions, and collectors highly prize them as the last of the signed Trifari Jewelry.In 2000 the Monet Group was purchased by Liz Claiborne and production was moved overseas, and ended the production of high quality signed Trifari jewelry. Liz Claiborne Inc. currently produces Trifari jewelry overseas, but these are lesser quality unsigned pieces on Trifari cards.
Sources: Trifari Jewelry Blog